Wednesday 9 May 2012

My Bucket List

I'm an organized person who highly enjoys lists. So, naturally, I cram all my life goals and aspirations into a neatly compacted list that I can reference whenever I want. 

Hey, what can I say, I want the most out of life. 

Without further adieu, here are the many things I desire to do before my heart stops beating: (that sounds a little grim, let me try again)

Without further adieu, here are the many things I want to accomplish during the beautiful state of consciousness that is "life": 

1. Throw Tomatoes At La Tomatina 


What? La Tomatina is a festival in Spain where thousands of tomatoes are whopped around everywhere and at everyone for a long, fun hour of bright red joy!
Why? It is very rare that one finds a moment of complete human unison where everyone lets go of their inhibitions and flings around some vegetables just for the hell of it. I want to experience this awesome human odyssey. It's a free for all food fight that 

2. Eat at One of the World's Best Restaurants 


What? The dapper looking man above is Rene Redzepi, the head chef of Copenhagen's Noma Restaurant, voted multiple times as the world's best restaurant. It's a wonderland of Scandinavian cuisine. 
Why? Good food makes me happy. And tasting the best of the best would be a legendary experience. Nothing's more classy than saying you stopped by Denmark for some of the world's best kåldolmar!

3. Set Foot on all 7 Continents 


What? Antartica/The Arctic, Europe, Asia, Africa, Oceania, South America, and North America. From icebergs to deserts, from mountains to volcanoes and so much more! 
Why? Our world is a huge, and amazing place. I am such a small part of it. I am confined to a minuscule little slice of the earth. The mystery of the unknown is alluring, and I am determined to make the most of my worldly existence. 

4. Go horseback riding in Swan Valley, Montana

Horseback riding through Swan Valley

What? Unadultered, beautiful countryside that begs to be trotted about by a horse and rider, a true feast for the eyes
Why? This type of landscape is unfamiliar to me, due to where I live (in a city). It would be so peaceful and gorgeous to look at snow-capped mountains and magnificent lakes. 

5. Hold an Event in the Sky 

Eating dinner in the sky

What? Nope, your eyes are not deceiving you. It really is possible to hold an event (of whatever you choose) suspended in mid-air. eventsinthesky.com
Why? Doing things that scare you are great for your health. It would certainly terrify and delight me to do such ordinary things in such an extraordinary location. That's right mom and dad, get your seatbelts on, and meet me in the air for my graduation dinner! 

6. Vacation in Igloo Village 


Igloo Village in Kakslauttanen, Finland

What? Just what the title says, a village of frickin igloos! How cozy/awesome? This delightfully anachronistic place is in Kakslauttanen, Finland. But don't worry, we aren't going back to the age of the caveman. They're heated (eeeee:D) with beds, restrooms, and kitchens. 
Why? I'm a sucker for cozy cabin-in-the-woods type vacations. This would be eons better than a stuffy hotel and I would love to go to Finland, just...because! It's Finland, guys!! 

7. Cross a Country On a Bicycle 

Cycling near mountains

What? Hop on a bike, gear up, and cycle your way across an entire country (one with manageable terrain and a small size, preferably. That means no to Alaska, sorry people.) 
Why? Just for the pure sense of accomplishment you would feel would be worth the journey. Also, it would be very low-cost, you'll get your legs toned up, and the sights would be incredible! I would pick somewhere in the UK, like England or Scotland. Hello Stonehedge!!! 

8. Learn to Speak Another Language Fluently 

Language study workbook

What? I would probably go for Spanish, as it's what I'm learning at the moment.
Why? I'm a social person, and linguistics interest me, as well as travel, so what better way to tap into this than learn another language?! Not only that, but it would open a whole slew of doors to me, employment-wise, travel-wise....

9. Bathe in the Ganges Rivers During the Purna Kumbh Mela 

Ritual bathing in the Ganges

What? Purna Kumbh Mela is a 45-day holy pilgrimage that takes place every 12 years. The festivities take place in different cities depending on the position of the moon, or something like that. Basically, you go bathe in the holy water among locals! 
Why? I wonder what the feeling of being cleansed by "pure" and "holy" water would feel like? I would consider myself agnostic, so this would be an eye-opening experience and would build on my knowledge. 

10. Drive the Great Ocean Road 

Car driving on the Great Ocean Road

What? This winding, breathtaking road is located in Australia and is home to a walking trail with exotic wildlife, and other wonders. 
Why? Well, firstly, the fact that it was constructed by soldiers as a gargantuan memorial to the casualties of World War 1 appeals to the history buff in me. Secondly, taking those smooth turns in a sweet Ferrari Enzo (let's assume I'm a millionaire) while casually glancing at the azure, rippling tide of the Indian (or maybe it's Pacific? Not sure, terrible at geography) ocean would be luxurious to say the least. 

11. Drink Beer at Oktoberfest 


What? A 16 day beer-laden festival with thousands upon thousands of drunk partying Germans and hearty food to fill your stomach with! 
Why? I'll admit I have a sweet spot for some Reiberdatschi and Marzenbier, but how much fun would a huge drunken festival of foreigners be?! Maybe dangerous, but who cares when you're drunk with a stomach full of Wurstl?! 

12. Float Around the Dead Sea 

Man reading book while floating in Dead Sea

What? It's a salt lake that borders Jordan in Israel. It's known as a mecca for health research and treatment. 
Why? The scenery is gorgeous, I would finally be able to float in water (a long time challenge for me hehehe), and who knows? Maybe some of my ailments could be cured. 

12. Watch the Sunset from Oia, Santorini, Greece

Sunset in Oia, Santorini, Greece

What? Do I even need to explain?! Look at that ^^ It's beautiful beyond words!! A gem of nature. 
Why? See above. My eyes would die of happiness! 

I'll leave it at that. I have many more bucket list items, but I wouldn't want to bore you! 

Life is fleeting, so do what you want when you can! 

What are some of your bucket list items? 

-Mesonoxxian xxoo
























3 comments:

  1. Hi Lizzie, I really enjoyed “traveling“ with you! Your Reiberdatschi actually made me crack up! They remind me of my grandpa with his (usually hilariously funny) “technical“ terms from Austria! However, I wouldn‘t recommend you to bathe in the Ganges River! My boyfriend is always telling me how extremely polluted and stinky he found that “holy“ water when he went to India (unfortunately WITHOUT me because at that time I didn‘t know him yet! Grrrrrrrrrr). But definitely GO there! I think it‘ll still be exciting, beautiful, colorful, strange and grandiose! You can always take a clothespin with you to tap your nose! Ha!

    Here are my bucket list items (in random order):

    1) Steeling sweets from one of those ingenious pastry kiosks in Sicily. With special attention to: cannoli, iris, cassatelle, granite and ice cream!!!

    2) Living in the following cities for at least a few months: London (fucking cool and alive, great music, tradition, tea time - and I love the accent), New York (vibrant, exhilarating, crazy, amazing, intellectual, fun), Istanbul (mundane, an underworld labyrinth, unique, different, mysterious, occult and beautiful), Rome (a never ending visual, cultural and historical explosion!!! Exuberant lifestyle! Do I have to say more?), Naples (crazy urbanism and crumbling grunge frame art, culture and the most amazing flavors!) and Palermo (bare beauty, culture, music, pastry kiosks, disproportionate nighttime lighting - all in all: a feast! ... and ... ehem ... mafia ...). Yes, yes, I already live in Italy, but - sadly enough - not THERE!

    3) Sewing an entire collection of crazy clothes and actually WEAR them!

    4) Surrounding myself with extremely weird self-designed items and furniture.

    5) Living in the Canadian outback for a while to find out if I can stand loneliness.

    6) Grow my own food in my own garden.

    7) Set foot on all 7 continents  - yes, I totally agree with you!!! I‘d love to see as much as I can of this world!

    8) Learning to speak other languages with the perfection of a native speaker - English is a standard and my Italian is pretty fluent as well. I might NEVER reach the perfection of a native speaker, but that‘s still a goal to work on! I‘d like to learn Spanish too! - And (cough, cough!) reteach me some French ... Well, that‘s obviously FAR TOO MUCH to dream of!

    Lots of love!
    Svea

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Svea! I loved reading yours! The Canadian outback is very beautiful (I've been there camping) :) And the garden thing too! I'm doing that this spring, I hope it works out! What's your native language? I never would have guessed english wasn't your first language! Impressive :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks a million for your compliments, Lizzie! I always thought that there might still be some kind of written "accent". So if you happen to see some funny expressions, you know why! :)

    My native language is German. I'm from Berlin, so you most probably won‘t find me at Oktoberfest... But I still like beer and Sauerkraut! And Reiberdatschi! :)

    And yes, I'm sure that the Canadian outback is very intense and extremely lovely! For now I only had a chance to have a glance at it from above (i.e. from an airplane window). I definitely want to go and see it!

    XOX!!!

    ReplyDelete